Monday, February 7, 2011

Party for 1

The psalmist David and I have a lot in common, in fact I think we must be related! The book of Psalm is full of "highs" and "lows" - one moment full of praise for all that God has done, and then the next wondering where God had gone. Take for instance Psalm 88 any of the translations will do - but The Message translation sounds like the conversation I have had with God many times - just check a few of excerpts:

"God, you're my last chance of the day. I spend the night on my knees before you. Put me on your salvation agenda; take notes on the trouble I'm in. I've had my fill of trouble;I'm camped on the edge of hell."

"I'm caught in a maze and can't find my way out, blinded by tears of pain and frustration."

"I'm standing my ground, God, shouting for help, at my prayers every morning, on my knees each daybreak. Why, God, do you turn a deaf ear? Why do you make yourself scarce?"


Any of this sound familiar??

I throw a good pity party for 1 - with balloon animals and all! I think we all can, we all can loose focus on the big picture - look down at ourselves and start an inward cry that ends with a chorus of "woe-is-me". Sometimes it may be good for us, but we can't stay there, it's not good for any of us to stay there. Even Job was allowed his 37 chapters, but then God stepped in - He will always step in.

When we cry out to God - He WILL answer, sometimes not as quickly as we want Him to - or even in the manner we think. He is our Father, He loves us - and HE only wants the best for us. Our inward moments only lead us back to the One who created our inward parts. It puts us back into His arms, right where we belong. God doesn't miss ONE TEAR, not one moment of your life.

"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." Psalm 56:8

Let your Father hold you, - "Be still and know that HE is God" Psalm 46:10

"For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs."
Zephaniah 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment